A 2020 CINEMA REVIEW

 


Yes, I did manage to get to the cinema in 2020 and for the most part my visits were successful. Some were spent in near empty independent cinemas amongst face mask wearing patrons and some were in new chain cinema's that had undergone face lifts. I ventured to the BFI iMax and the Prince Charles as well as my regular trips to various Everyman cinemas and Picturehouses. I am focusing on films seen at the cinema so here are my reflections on my big screen experiences last year.

  • 1917 - Technically interesting but lacked personality
  • The Gentlemen- Richie doing what he's best at. Witty and easily digestible
  • Jojo Rabbit-A good film this, not wilfully quirky like a Wes Anderson film, more like a dark humoured Tin Drum
  • Uncut Gems- Excellent, anxiety inducing tale of greed
  • The Personal History Of David Copperfield- Dickens seen through a prism. A warm rendition of a classic tale
  • The Holy Mountain-Seeing is believing. There is no film like Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain. Needs to be seen with an audience and an open mind. Truly unique
  • Queen & Slim-I am a big fan of the 'Lovers On The Lam" genre and this entry stands up well. A promising Director at play here.
  • Bombshell- Great performances from the three female leads in this timely story ripped from the headlines.
  • Parasite-Having seen it in 2019 on a flight to The Turks and Caicos i was keen to see it on the big screen. As good as the hype suggests and on a personal note I am so happy that Korean cinema finally found popular acclaim with this film, seeing as I have been banging on about it for two decades.
  • The Invisible Man-Very good, better than expected. The original film 1933 version of H.G Well's classic is one of my favourites so it was good to see this modern take.
  • Greed- A pretty much overlooked film starring Steve Coogan as a Peter Green type. Had some very good moments but lacked something.
  • Dark Waters- A story of corporate greed told well.
  • Calm With Horses- My pick of the year. great performances all round but particularly outstanding is Cosmo Jarvis. Bleak and profound, darkly tragic. Recommended
  • Saint Frances-Terrific film about female relationships, growing up and independence.
  • Tenet-Strong contender. Visually and sonically marvellous. Seemed to have a backlash before it was even released, which is strange. For those of us who had missed the cinema during the lockdown this was a great cinematic experience. I fear that much will be lost when viewed on the small screen.
  • Saint Maud-Superb modern horror with a strong lead performance. It's mixture of the mundane and the gothic is perfectly pitched.
  • Pixie- An Irish caper movie with a sense of mischief. Twisty and turny with heart.
  • Akira-Seeing Akira at the BFI iMax really is an experience. This film has stood the test of time and in anime terms is hard to beat. Still original, thrilling and thought provoking 
  • Mank- Good but left me feeling somewhat short changed
  • Falling- Family life with it's ups and downs captured marvellously with a great turn from a cantankerous  Lance Henriksen.
As I said I have seen many films on Netflix and Amazon and perhaps this year I will keep a record. But my favourite of those streamed films  was Brandon Cronenberg's Possessor a surreal body horror thriller that leaves a lasting impression

As for this year, hopefully it won't be long until I can venture back into the magic of a dark auditorium and see some more films the way  they are meant to be seen.



Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT