LET'S COOK

Dear reader, there is no easy way to say this so I will just come out with it;  think I may be addicted to Masterchef.

Yes the culinary challenge broadcast weekday evenings on the BBC has got its hooks in me and is basting me in its light entertainment juices. 

I find myself saying 'let's cook" at the drop of a hat. I exclaim "happy with that?" at the slightest of excuses and the phrase "a good plate of food" leaves my lips at every mealtime.

I now know that rack of lamb is the TV cook's nemesis, that the wobble is the most important part of a successful panna cotta and that soil is not just for gardeners but is is a legitimate part of plate presentation.

I've now grown accustomed to Greg Wallace's egg shaped noggin and John Torodes' squirrel like cheeks as they devour and critique plate after plate of signature dishes and bold experiments.

I have learnt to enjoy the triumphs and disasters with equal measure. Who can forget Scott on 'Master Chef The professionals'? His signature  dessert of choux buns imploded and his  crepe suzette, which was his speciality on the cruise ship where he spent many months, was a disaster to rank alongside the Nazi's attempt to take Stalingrad. 

I now hang on the words of the critics as they munch through their plates of contestant's dreams. Grace Dent; the thinking man's Hylda Ogden with her Northern analogise. The Raffish Jay Rayner; the cookery version of Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen with his acerbic quips, and that other royal bloke. 

The master Chef glossary has seeped into my everyday life. Jus, Sous vide, Crumb, Ceviche, foam, infusion and deconstruction are now words utilised out of context in everyday discourse.

I'm even watching The Great British Menu as a snack between meals of Master Chef.

Maybe one day I will be able to ween myself off the need for MC. Perhaps I can just save myself for the professionals and possibly restrict viewing to the later stages. 

Who am I kidding? I've got Master Chef Mania  and I like it! There I've said it! Cloak me with a Master Chef apron and anoint my head with a Red wine and confit duck reduction. 




Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT