THE NEXT CHAPTER


You can't write about popular culture without being effected by what is going on in the world, popular culture does not exist in a vacuum therefore the ongoing pandemic looms large in any thoughts and ideas based on experience of popular culture.

The year just gone; Covid II, was as unrelentingly challenging as it's predecessor, Covid: The Awakening, albeit in slightly differing ways.

How can I write about the movies I saw, exhibitions I went to, TV I watched, Music I heard, things that I read and other "stuff" without that writing being through the Covid prism? That's the challenge I suppose. Despite my best efforts; travelling outside of rush hour, masking up, getting vaccinated etc, I tested positive on Christmas morning, with full symptoms for good luck. Ho Ho Oh No! Therefore I saw out the last of 2021 and the start of 2022 in bed.

I believe that everyone is entitled to an opinion, even the hard of thinking, but to those who say that Covid is not real, let me tell you, it is and it's bloody awful having it! feeling unwell at any time of the year is not good but having worked extremely hard, keeping my business afloat, all year, I was looking forward to this period. Time to take it easy, a trip to the coast booked and the opportunity to relax, see friends and generally enjoy some down time then Whack! Covid intervened like the unwelcome gatecrasher it is.

One thing being isolated and confined to bed does for you is give you time to reflect, time to take stock, time to remember.

Amidst life during war time we all need to be entertained, pleased, thrilled, made happy, made sad and generally experience the light and shade of popular culture and 2021 gave us these variances.

Being at home meant opportunities to experience some great TV; The Serpent, True Story, Help, I Am Victoria, Squid Game, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Vigil, Behind Her Eyes, Marcella, Clickbait, Brand New Cherry Flavour, Black Summer, American Horror Stories, American Horror Story, What If..., Ted Lasso, Wandavision, Love, Death & Robots are all examples of the diversity on offer.

Trips to the cinema, for me, where great experiences. Just to be able to visit a half empty cinema and immerse myself in another world felt like a luxury. My movie going highlights would have to be In The Earth, Dune, Lamb, Another Round, Surge, The Little Things, Old, Censor, No Time To Die, Invincible, The Lost Daughter. I also saw Blade Runner in 70mm with my nephew (His first time seeing it) which was a great experience. 

Streaming services gave me the opportunity to see a variety of films.  Black Bear (My film of he year) Promising Young Woman, The Green Knight, The Last Duel, Army Of The Dead, Coda, Spiral and many more too numerous to mention.  I think it's fair to say that there were gems if you dug deep enough.

An exhibition here, a gig there and the odd trip to the football was a reminder of what London has to offer, and it is with this spirit I plan to face up to 2022. I can't have another year waiting for the bombs to fall. I can't have another year listening to Lord Haw Haw and his ilk. What I can have, is the belief that when you're going through hell its imperative to keep going and you know what? Popular culture helps. 


Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT