THE JOY OF SINGLES



BBC 4 The Joy of Singles
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nzchs

BBC 4 broadcast an interesting programme that revelled in the art of the 7" single. A variety of musicians journalists spoke about the first single they bought and the significance, both musically and culturally, of the power of the single. This got me to thinking about my first single and the appeal of the vinyl, the label and the sleeve. Here's a selection of some of the singles that I have bought over the years, starting with my very first one, that had resonance for me and that bring back memories of specific times. Most are 7" singles but there are also 12" singles that are significant. These are not my favourite, or 'best' singles but important to me to only caveat is that they were all bought at time of release. That's what the single is all about, capturing the moment.


Slade-Look Wot you dun
Alice Cooper-Schools out
Roxy Music-Pyjamarama
David Bowie-Life on Mars
T-Connection-Do what you wanna do
Sex Pistols-God save the queen
Evlyn 'Champagne' King-Shame
Change-Searching
Siouxsie & The Banshees-Hong Kong Garden
D-Train-You're the one for me
The Clash-Complete Control
Luther VanDros-Never too much
The Beat-Mirror in the bathroom
Joy Division-Komakino
Afrika Bambaataa-Planet Rock
Rockers revenge-Walking on Sunshine
ABC-Tears are not enough
Teardrop Explodes-Treason
Sade-Smooth Operator
Spandau Ballet-Chant number one
Soul II Soul-Keep on Moving
Jamiraquai-When you gonna learn
Brand New Heavies-Stay this way
SWV-Right here
Talking Heads-Once in a lifetime
Blackstreet-No Diggidy
Lightning Seeds-Life's to short
Paul Weller-You do something to me
Adele-Chasing Pavements
Arctic Monkeys-I bet you look good on the dance floor
end of part 1...








Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT