MY HIT LIST: GOD ONLY KNOWS BY THE BEACH BOYS


The word ‘God’ was used for the first time in a commercial hit song by the Beach Boys. The song, the sublime God only knows. Orchestration with Harpsichords and French horns are used alongside complex vocal harmony and electronica to superb effect.

The melody and production is , beautiful the words perfect.

With lyrics by Tony Asher this song was composed and produced by Brian Wilson; he gave up lead vocal duties to brother Carl. Its rightly one of the great songs of all time and was very much a ground breaker at its initial release. It was released in 1966 and the following year the baton of taking popular music forward was taken up by the excellent reflections by Diana Ross and the Supremes  http://youtu.be/AOMyS78o5YI
God only knows
Melancholic and uplifting at the same time this is a song that when one is asked “why do you like popular music” your answer is to just play it; that’s all the answer you need. Truly wonderful. Just ask Paul McCartney

"It's a really, really great song — it's a big favorite of mine. I was asked recently to give my top 10 favorite songs for a Japanese radio station ... I didn't think long and hard on it but I popped that [God Only Knows] on the top of my list. It's very deep. Very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. There are certain songs that just hit home with me, and they're the strangest collection of songs ... but that is high on the list, I must say ... God Only Knows' ' lyrics are great. Those do it to me every time.-Paul McCartney 1990"

Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT