Monday, 8 November 2010
MY HIT LIST #36 The Three Degrees
The hits began with a remake of the Chantels 1958 hit, "Maybe" and continued through "I Do Take You", "You're The One", "There's So Much Love All Around Me" and closed out with "Trade Winds" for Roulette records. It was during this two-year span that they made a cameo appearance in the movie, "The French Connection", singing "Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon", portraying themselves in a cabaret scene.
In 1972, they aligned their recording fate with Gamble and Huff's Philadelphia International label alongside artists such as Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, the O'Jays, Billy Paul and the Intruders. The hits started coming; "Dirty Ol Man","TSOP", which featured the ladies with MFSB, 'When Will I See You Again”.
During their 3 years with Philadelphia International, they enjoyed great success with "Year Of Decision", "Take Good Care Of Yourself" and, again with MFSB, "Love Is The Message".
For a generation of light entertainment watchers The Three Degrees were a regularly appearing source of sophisticated sex appeal in their fabulous outfits. their glamour offset the beige hued acts that also appeared on Seaside Special and the like. The Three degrees were glamour pusses in a grey world.
After some changes it was ultimately the moving on of Sheila Ferguson that ended the Three Degrees as we knew them.The Three Degrees are not held in such reverence as the Supremes and the like but they were accessible in the mainstream and brought genuine sunshine into my Saturday nights.
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- Television Shit
- The ice age is coming the suns zooming in meltdown...
- We Are Marshall
- Leslie Nielsen RIP
- My Hit List # 43 Any Given Sunday Piece in inches
- AVATAR TOO FAR
- RODENT RAGE
- the big cheese situation
- WER'E THE BAND part 3
- Let them eat fried chicken
- MY HIT LIST # 42 Ana De La Rguera as Vida in Eastb...
- WER'E THE BAND part two
- New Jack Swing
- MY HIT LIST # 41 Flaming June
- MY HIT LIST # 40 Gene Hackman
- Celebrities in Need
- WE'RE THE BAND part one
- Royal with cheese
- MY HIT LIST # 38 Pesto
- Kings of movie sleaze
- Beware Swedes bearing guitars
- WELL THEY SAID THAT Captain Quint
- Dino De Laurentis
- WELL THEY SAID THAT Bill
- WELL THEY SAID THAT Joe Cabot
- WELL THEY SAID THAT Bobby Womack
- WELL THEY SAID THAT Aldo Raine
- WELL THEY SAID THAT Jules Winnfield
- WELL THEY SAID THAT O- Ren- Ishi
- REMEMBERANCE 11/11 11:11
- I can't get no sleep
- Stone age sensations
- MY HIT LIST # 37 RaquelWelch
- MY HIT LIST #36 The Three Degrees
- MY HIT LIST # 35 A Song for You Donny Hathaway
- WELL THEY SAID THAT-Brian Potter & Jerry St Clair
- Street fighting Woman
- WELL THEY SAID THAT-Basil Fawlty
- Don't Bee Fooled
- VINYL MADNESS
- Coppers Channel 4
- The Musical Industrial Complex
- We can be heroes # 3 Fielding Mellisch
- ▼ November (46)