Wednesday, 28 July 2010
When is a bad film a good film
Yeah fine cuisine is tres bien; however, sometimes a burger does the trick.
Case in Point Mi III
Synopsis: Recently retired, Agent Ethan Hunt lives a slower-paced life training new IMF agents. With this change, new opportunities enter his life, including a possible marriage to his girlfriend Julia. However, when a new conflict arises, Ethan is called back to duty to confront the toughest villain he's ever faced -- Owen Davian, an international weapons and information provider with no remorse and no conscience.
So far so bad. Thing is Mission Impossible III is impossibly enjoyable.
In particular the rescue scene; explosions, gunfire, quips, helicopters, missiles, bombs, grenades, wind turbines, remote controlled artillery, sheep, explosive cranial implants it’s got the lot and is filmed and edited in a spectacularly thrilling manner. Then we have another rescue on a bridge with hi tech gadgets, body armor, running, jumping, extreme weapons and juddering thuds. Not to mention intense hero villain standoffs and civilians suddenly becoming adept action heroes. Yes everything I've written would be putting me off, but, and here’s the thing; Cruise and Director JJ Abrams perfectly understand the genre and they manage to tick boxes in a more than perfunctory way. It's exciting and action packed and of course it isn't 'serious' cinema but what it does it does well. I can't help myself i like it!
If Die Hard was the blueprint for the modern day action movie then Mi III is much more than a tribute act.
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- WYST is on holiday
- PUB (literally) QUIZ
- WYST is packing it's bags
- My Double Bills #21 Ben Stiller x 2
- When is a bad film a good film
- To be someone (didn't we have a nice time)
- TOXIC BOSS
- ADVERT BREAK Adios & Wii
- My double bills#22 Murder by Death & Dead men don'...
- ADVERT BREAK
- Be Cool as Ice
- ADVERT BREAK
- ain’t it funky
- well they said that-Blake (Glengarry Glen Ross)
- Raging Avians
- well they said that-Stewart Lee
- Well they said that-Alfred Hitchcock
- Creativity at work
- just rewards
- couldn't Care less class©
- Astringency in the UK
- Well they said that-Chris Rock
- Woody Allen is quite smart
- The Glutton Bowl three two one eat
- Zombies are a geeks best friend
- LIVE AID 25 YEARS
- Heil Honey I'm Home
- If there weren't any Curry & chips you'd have to i...
- So many acronyms so little time
- Sour Grapes
- Spielberg’s list.
- Being N-Dubz the TV show
- Rememberance of five years past
- My double bills# 20 Went the day well? & Pastor Ha...
- Empire state of mind
- My double bills #19 Nick & Nicks VHS adventures
- Broadband Bellends
- Police and theives in the street, oh yeah
- ▼ July (40)