Acronyms and initialisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO) or parts of words (as in Benelux). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the various terms (see nomenclature), nor on written usage (see orthographic styling). -Other than to confound and befuddle!
BSU= Business Support Unit= Admin
MIP=Managing Individual performance=Appraisal
So many acronyms so little time. They are used to bamboozle and confuse, to make one feel that they are the one in the room who doesn’t get it. When used at presentations, conferences and seminars these acronyms project an air of knowledge and superiority. It’s not political correctness or any other trend, it’s completely devised to confuse the underlings and flummox the people on the ground floor.
The Corporate world has rubbed off on the world of local government, with such unimaginatively altered names as Intranet, Cindex and E-Buy. Talking the same language is a minimum requirement and when confronted by USPs and CAZs no one wants to pipe up and say; “what does that mean?”
Further more the vocabulary of many a youngster is full of 'em! Primarily through the use of texts. I suppose it may very well help them in the future employment world.
We use language in a multitude of ways but at work let’s not complicate matters.
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- WYST is on holiday
- PUB (literally) QUIZ
- WYST is packing it's bags
- My Double Bills #21 Ben Stiller x 2
- When is a bad film a good film
- To be someone (didn't we have a nice time)
- TOXIC BOSS
- ADVERT BREAK Adios & Wii
- My double bills#22 Murder by Death & Dead men don'...
- ADVERT BREAK
- Be Cool as Ice
- ADVERT BREAK
- ain’t it funky
- well they said that-Blake (Glengarry Glen Ross)
- Raging Avians
- well they said that-Stewart Lee
- Well they said that-Alfred Hitchcock
- Creativity at work
- just rewards
- couldn't Care less class©
- Astringency in the UK
- Well they said that-Chris Rock
- Woody Allen is quite smart
- The Glutton Bowl three two one eat
- Zombies are a geeks best friend
- LIVE AID 25 YEARS
- Heil Honey I'm Home
- If there weren't any Curry & chips you'd have to i...
- So many acronyms so little time
- Sour Grapes
- Spielberg’s list.
- Being N-Dubz the TV show
- Rememberance of five years past
- My double bills# 20 Went the day well? & Pastor Ha...
- Empire state of mind
- My double bills #19 Nick & Nicks VHS adventures
- Broadband Bellends
- Police and theives in the street, oh yeah
- ▼ July (40)