Sunday, 11 July 2010
If there weren't any Curry & chips you'd have to invent them
From the creator of Alf Garnett came these two examples of ham fisted attempts to comment on late 60' early 70s 'race realtions', as it was called back then. Given that Mind your language was a successful TV comedy at the time it is easy to see why Speight attempted to challenge the perceptions of the time.
mind your language
Set on a factory floor of 'Lillicrap Ltd' Curry & chips starred a blacked up Spike Milligan as an Asian immigrant, 'Paki Paddy', who went by the name of Kevin O'Grady. It also featured Eric Sykes as the foreman, Norman Rossington as the shop steward, and other regulars were Kenny Lynch, and Sam Kydd. It caused offense even by the standards of the day and was taken off air.
If there weren't any blacks you'd have to invent them starred Leonard Rossiter, Richard Beckinsale, Bob Hoskins, John Castle, Michael Bryant, Geoffrey Bayldon and Donald Gee. It was a one hour drama disguised as a biting satire. It's easier to see the points that Speight is trying to raise, although it is decidely artistic in intent. That it says more about scapegoating and attacks on difference than Curry & chips gives it more credibility.
Johhny Speight clearly had some interesting ideas about confronting prejudice and Til death us do part in it's original form did so effectively. These two offerings however tell us more about the times that they were made in and the difficulty in raising issues effectively without causing offense. A case of missed opportunities.
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- WYST is on holiday
- PUB (literally) QUIZ
- WYST is packing it's bags
- My Double Bills #21 Ben Stiller x 2
- When is a bad film a good film
- To be someone (didn't we have a nice time)
- TOXIC BOSS
- ADVERT BREAK Adios & Wii
- My double bills#22 Murder by Death & Dead men don'...
- ADVERT BREAK
- Be Cool as Ice
- ADVERT BREAK
- ain’t it funky
- well they said that-Blake (Glengarry Glen Ross)
- Raging Avians
- well they said that-Stewart Lee
- Well they said that-Alfred Hitchcock
- Creativity at work
- just rewards
- couldn't Care less class©
- Astringency in the UK
- Well they said that-Chris Rock
- Woody Allen is quite smart
- The Glutton Bowl three two one eat
- Zombies are a geeks best friend
- LIVE AID 25 YEARS
- Heil Honey I'm Home
- If there weren't any Curry & chips you'd have to i...
- So many acronyms so little time
- Sour Grapes
- Spielberg’s list.
- Being N-Dubz the TV show
- Rememberance of five years past
- My double bills# 20 Went the day well? & Pastor Ha...
- Empire state of mind
- My double bills #19 Nick & Nicks VHS adventures
- Broadband Bellends
- Police and theives in the street, oh yeah
- ▼ July (40)