Saturday, 5 June 2010
Two times the glitz two times the glamour
“Two times the glitz two times the glamour”
Possibly the most facile use of celluloid ever produced. Now it’s not about it being a bad film; after all bad can be good, oh no, it’s about pitching the movie as a lifestyle.
The first film had tie-ins with Muller Light, Skyy Vodka, Mercedes, Dior, Badgley Mischka, Manolo Blahnik, Lacroix and Louboutin, thus making it clear that its audience needed to covet these brands in order to live the dream. Now, this new offering has ‘official Partners’ like Muller Light, Kelloggs, Cadburys, Debenhams, Coca-Cola and Boots, as an official health and beauty retail partner
Among the quotes brandished to publicise the film there is no mention of story, acting or anything generally associated with getting the public to buy a ticket. Some quotes about the film read;
‘Maxi dresses, catsuits and harem pants take a starring role as the foursome go on their exotic travels.’
‘Their wardrobe is all about reviving a cool sultry 70s summer look, and it’s one which is already making its mark on this season’s trends.’
‘There are huge plot twists, like Carrie Bradshaw dumping her trademark Apple Mac for HP!’
No its not aspirational; it peddles false and irrelevant values along with making a virtue of judging people by the labels they wear. It also pitches itself as some half witted attempt at female empowerment, when in fact all it does is encourage stupidity.
It would be simplistic to say that those among us that are critical of the whole Business are simply being misogynistic. That’s not the case; it’s about the fact that drivel like this attains sheen of being a zeitgeist capturing phenomenon.
It’s not! It’s an insipid self serving example of commerce over art. I tend to think (as I have absolutely no intention to see for myself) that this quote may sum up the whole shenanigans;
‘It’s worse than Sex and the City 1, and that alone is a remarkable achievement.’
The sort of imbecile that likes S&TC -in an ironic way. ho hum
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- PRYOR There's a thin line between to laugh with an...
- My Double Bills# 18 Eddie Murphy: Raw & Chris Roc...
- What’s all the fuss about? # 1 The Lord of the Rin...
- Wake up everybody
- A bumper bundle of Birthdays Today 26th June
- Olly Moss Movie Posters
- My Double bills # 17 Men on a mission
- Mister Bombastic
- Moments to Cherish
- (Belated) Happy Birthday Kathleen Turner
- My Double Bills# 16 Erin Brokovich & Jerry Maguire...
- Return of Goldeneye
- Only foolas and girls on horses.
- Cobi King of the Mascots
- From Willie to Zakuni World Cup Mascots review.
- My Double Bills # 15 Horror double feature: Drag ...
- Jerome Silberman
- CHARLES GRODIN
- The final word on Big Brother
- Johnny Vaughn feedback
- whatever happened to...
- well they said that
- Location, Location, Location
- GOBUYANYCOMPARECAR.COM abuse
- June 6th a day to remember
- Two times the glitz two times the glamour
- Imperator Novus Vestis
- We don't need this Fashion groove thing
- TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE PATRIOTIC PUPPET POMP
- Dynamic Duo
- ▼ June (33)